Pinto Martins International Airport
In 1952, the former Cocorote Base was renamed Pinto Martins International Airport after Ceará-born aviator Euclydes Pinto Martins, the first pilot to fly from New York to Rio de Janeiro.
A bust honoring Pinto Martins can be found in the second-floor lobby.
Fraport Brasil – Fortaleza
In March 2017, in an international bidding process, Fraport AG Frankfurt Airport Services Worldwide was awarded a 30-year concession for the Pinto Martins International Airport.
Fraport Brasil - Fortaleza is a Brazilian company and subsidiary of Fraport AG, one of the leading companies in the global airport market, offering a full range of management and consulting services. Owner and operator of the Frankfurt Airport, the largest in Germany, Fraport AG is highly experienced, and its portfolio includes 28 airports worldwide.
In January 2018, the Brazilian company took over the operations at Fortaleza Airport as well as its expansion, infrastructure and quality-improvement works. The concession agreement provided for a total investment of BRL 1 billion. The funds were used particularly for the renovation and expansion of the Passenger Terminal and the runway extension. All works were completed before the deadline agreed upon by the Brazilian Civil Aviation Agency (Anac).
The Fortaleza Terminal, which covered just over 35,000 sq.m., doubled in size, reaching 72,000 sq.m. The runway was also extended, bringing its length to 2,755 meters.
- Passenger Terminal: 35,400 sq.m.
- Runway: 13-31, 2,545 m x 45 m
- Gate: 11
- Passenger boarding bridges: 7
- Stands: 18
- Stores, restaurants and services: 72
- 33 domestic and 8 international check-in counters
- 4 baggage carousels
- Passenger Terminal: 72,000 sq.m.
- Runway: 13-31, 2,755 m x 45 m
- Gate: 21
- Passenger boarding bridges: 15
- Stands: 28
- Stores, restaurants and services: 120
- 60 check-in counters: 40 domestic and 20 international
- 14 automated boarding pass readers: 8 domestic and 6 international
- 5 baggage carousels