In 1952, the former Cocorote Airbase was renamed Pinto Martins Airport after Euclydes Pinto Martins, a pilot born in the State of Ceará who was the first pilot to fly from New York City to Rio de Janeiro.
The new Cargo Terminal was opened in 2009.
In March 2017, in the fourth round of concessions of Brazilian airports, the Federal Government granted the Pinto Martins Airport to Fraport AG.
The airport has a great potential, especially because of the economic development Fortaleza and the State of Ceará have experienced recently. Additionally, its strategic geographic location makes it an excellent hub for flights coming from Europe and North America.